Friday 29 January 2010

History of a Fan

I first got into Doctor Who when I was about eight years old. I believe that the last few episodes of Season 26 were being screened at the time before the show's cancellation, but I did not watch these as I found them too scary. Instead, my first experience of Doctor Who was reading Target novelisations borrowed from the local library. Not long after I got to watch some of the BBC videos, starting with the Five Doctors.

When I was a little older, I read a few of the Virgin New Adventures, but I largely lost interest in Doctor Who as I went through my adolescence. I certainly hated the TV movie back in 1996.

A few years ago, I started reading stories by the American horror writer, H.P. Lovecraft. I found some of the themes of his stories incredibly familiar and realised he must have been a major influence on Doctor Who. This lead me to take a renewed interest in the show and I began collecting Doctor Who DVDs.

I think part of why I love the Sylvester McCoy era is my memory of reading New Adventures back in the nineties. He was my doctor, without my seeing his stories at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment